History of the Spa
The first recorded mention of the springs is in the parish chronicle in Medzibrod and dates back to 1818. Until 1834, when construction of the first spa building started (it was finished in 1837) there is no documentation regarding the utilization of the springs for the purposes of spa treatment. Most likely the lumberjacks, minors and coalmen used the springs long before 1834, because they daily passed by them in the Brusnianka valley on their way to work. The first spa season started in 1838 and continued until the spa building burned down in 1859. It was restored in 1861, with the ground plan in the shape of the letter U – the present Vepor pavilion. The period of the first Czechoslovak Republic was a blooming period for the Brusno Medical Spa. At that time there were 3 two-floor buildings (Ďumbier, Vepor and Paula) with 150 rooms. The hotels had electricity and water pipeline.
After the Second World War the spa was in a bad technical condition, which was worsened by the fire in 1947. The Podbrezová ironworks (in those times it used to be called Central Slovakia Ironworks) took part in the renewal and became the new spa owner in 1947. The communist coup in 1948 started the process of nationalization and the Brusno spa fell into the state’s hands. The greatest architectural change happened after 1974 when the Poľana pavilion was built, which was opened after 1985. Today the Brusno Medical Spa is a joint-stock company.
From the history of the Brusno village
The first written evidence of the village dates from 24 May 1424: a deed of gift from the King Sigismund to his wife Barbara Gelská, who was given the Ľupča castle dominion. In the document, Brusno is mentioned as one of its subject villages. However, it is not stated as an independent village, but together with the village of Svätý Ondrej, under the name “villa utraque Zenthndras“. King Sigismund dedicated seven mining towns in Central Slovakia to his wife, together with the towns of Brezno and Krupina. In the municipal documentation dating back to the year 1441, Brusno is already mentioned as an independent village, because it had been given in pledge by the queen Elisabeth, as a part of the Ľupča castle dominion to the castle captain George Horvath for 10.000 golden coins. The nobility owned 26 villages and settlements. In the deed of gift (in 1470) from the King Matei to the royal treasurer John Ernust and his two sons, Brusno and Ondrej villages are also mentioned as independent villages. After the year 1470, the villages are stated separately: Brusno can be found as Brusno, Bruzno, Bruszno; Svätý Ondrej is stated as Sanctus Andreas or Andre.
Andrej Kasanický, a forester from the village of Ondrej, was the first person to come up with the idea of building a spa in the Brusno valley - the area full of mineral springs. His efforts were supported by „the spa society“ lead by vicar Michal Fodor, pastor from the Nemecká village who became familiar with the spa in Sklené Teplice during his service in Žarnovica. In 1833, Andrej Kasanický submitted a written request to the Forest Authority in Banská Bystrica for a permission to build the first spa in the Brusno valley. On 8 August 2013, 180 years passed since the Mining Chamber in Banská Bystrica approved the construction of the spa under the registration number 2872/1833. Since then, construcion works on the youngest spa in Austria-Hungary had started. In 1833 Brusno and Svätý Ondrej were independent villages, spa had not existed. One-hudred years later, in 1960, both villages united together with the third local part called Brusno – Spa.